If you are craving the flavours of summer, baby back ribs are the perfect way to bring a taste of summer to your table. Most people consider ribs to be a dish that should be prepared by professionals, but it is easy to get the same flavourful ribs at home without all of the hard work. When the ribs are placed into the oven your work is finished. You can relax, watch a movie, do some yoga exercises, read a book, or complete chores around the house.
These baby back ribs are flavourful and delicious. Baby back ribs can be cooked in a variety of ways. Some of my favourite variations are instant pot baby back ribs, smoked baby back ribs, or oven baked baby back ribs. This recipe can either be baked in the oven or the instant pot then coated with a sticky delicious homemade sauce.
How to cook oven baked ribs
Cooking ribs in the oven is a simple process. To make oven baked baby back ribs follow these steps.
Remove the membrane. The membrane is a thin layer of tissue that is located on the underside of pork ribs. Unlike the rest of the rib, this silver skin does not become tender when cooked. When cooked the membrane becomes tough and chewy. To ensure tender fall off the bone ribs the silver skin has to be removed.
To extract the silver skin, slide a knife under the skin. Then use your fingers to remove the membrane. If you have trouble grasping the skin use a kitchen towel to pull the skin off.
Liberally season both sides of the ribs with the dry rub. Tightly wrap the ribs meat side down with aluminum foil. Bake the ribs low and slow at 275 F for 3 to 4 hours until the ribs are tender. Bathe the ribs with barbecue sauce then broil the ribs for a couple of minutes until the sauce is caramelized.
Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
Cooking baby back ribs in the instant pot drastically reduces the length of cook time. It only takes about 25 minutes for the ribs to cook using an instant pot. The instant pot seals in moisture while the ribs cook.
The ribs are coated and massaged with a dry rub. If the membrane is still attached to the baby back ribs remove it before sprinkling the dry rub onto the ribs.
Add a splash of liquid smoke. The liquid smoke will add the signature barbecue that rib flavours develop when they are cooked for long periods by smoking ribs.
Cook the ribs for 25 minutes on high pressure and wait 5 minutes for the pots pressured to be released naturally.
Remove the ribs from the pot and brush the ribs with the homemade barbecue sauce. Broil the ribs on high for 3-4 minutes until the sauce begins to caramelize.
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Any store-bought barbecue sauce can work with this recipe. However, if you want to take these ribs to the next level make the homemade barbecue sauce.
This barbecue sauce literally takes a few minutes to make. Ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and mustard combine to make the perfect sauce for the ribs. This sauce can be doubled and used to coat chicken wings or brushed over chuck brisket burger patties.
Fall-Off-The-Bone Tender Oven-Baked Baby Back Ribs Recipe
Slathered with a sticky delicious homemade sauce, these ribs fall off the bone tender. Layered with an extra level of flavour these ribs are massaged with a dry rub first then coated in sauce making it hard for you to just have one!
Prep Time: 15mins | Cook Time: 4hr | Total Time: 4hr 15mins | Serving: 4
Calories: 332 kcal
For The Dry Rub
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup of salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
For the ribs:
- 1 rack baby back pork ribs
For the homemade barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup,
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 275 F. Remove the silver membrane from the back of the ribs.
Mix white sugar, paprika, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and in a small bowl until combined
Place the meaty side of the rib down onto a sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle a generous amount of the dry rub over ribs and massage the rub into the meat. Tightly wrap the ribs with the foil and place it on a sheet pan. Transfer ribs to the oven and cook ribs for 3-4 hours until tender.
To make the barbecue sauce, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until they become translucent for about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the mustard ketchup, brown sugar apple cider vinegar. Cook the sauce for 2 minutes and set aside.
Remove the ribs from the oven and place them on a sheet pan. Slather the ribs with the sauce on both sides. Position the oven rack close to the top of the oven.
Set the broiler to high and broil ribs for 3-4 minutes until the sauce begins to caramelize. (Do not walk away from your ribs. Watch the ribs while they broil to prevent the sauce from burning.) Slice the rack into individual pieces. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.9g | Protein: 29.4g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 3.3g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 1510mg | Potassium: 20mg | Sugar: 1.3g | Vitamin D: 8mcg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg
Fall Off The Bone Tender Instant Pot Baby back ribs
These super tender fall off the bone Baby Back Ribs are made in just a few minutes with the Instant Pot! This recipe is full of meaty flavour that your family will love!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minute | Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 342 kcal
- Dry rub (see dry rub ingredients above)
- 1 rack baby back pork ribs
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup Homemade Barbeque sauce (See recipe above)
- Mix white sugar, paprika, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and in a small bowl until combined.
- Remove the silver membrane from the back of the ribs. Sprinkle a generous amount of the dry rub over ribs and massage the rub into the meat.
- Pour the beef stock, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke into the bottom of the pot. Add the trivet to the pot, then place the ribs inside the pot, standing on their side, coiling around the inside of the pot.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and program it for 25 minutes. When the time has expired, allow the pressure release naturally for ten minutes and quickly release the residual pressure.
- To make the barbecue sauce, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until they become translucent for about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the mustard ketchup, brown sugar apple cider vinegar. Cook the sauce for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Gently remove the ribs from the Instant Pot. Transfer ribs to a sheet pan lined with foil. Brush the ribs with homemade barbecues sauce or whatever sauce you prefer.
- Position your rack near the top of the oven. Set the broiler to high and place the ribs in the oven. Do not walk away from your ribs as they can easily burn. Let the ribs cook until the sauce starts to caramelize, takes about 3-4 minutes. Slice the racks into individual pieces. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 50.5g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13.6g | Saturated Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 7645mg | Potassium: 500mg | Sugar: 41.1g | Vitamin D: 0mcg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 5mg
Whether you cook your ribs in the oven or in an Instant pot this baby back ribs recipe is full of flavour and easy to make!