Chicken wings are the perfect party food. They are literally the easiest food on the planet to cook. Whether you make smoked chicken wings, deep-fried chicken wings, or oven-baked chicken wings they are bound to wow your family or friends.
This recipe includes 3 different variations of chicken wings: classic deep-fried chicken, lemon pepper smoked chicken wings, and sweet and sour crispy barbecued baked chicken wings. These wings are flavourful and crispy. Serve with a side ranch or the homemade sweet and sour barbecue sauce and enjoy these delicious wings.
How to Cut Chicken Wings
Chicken wings come pre-cut or whole. Pre-cut wings are usually labeled party wings or wingettes and drumsticks. Whole wings still have the wingette and drumette attached to each other, if you buy whole wings, you will want to separate them into wingettes and drumettes for ease in frying and eating. The drumette is the part of the wing that looks like a small drumstick and the wingette is the flat part of the wing containing two bones.
To separate the wings bend the wing back to the joint to the less meaty part of the chicken wing. Using a sharp knife to cut through the joint and you will have a wingette and a drumette. Use the same technique to remove the tip of the wing. Bend the wingette and the tip back at the joint and cut it with a sharp knife.
Tips For Frying Chicken Wings
- Use an oil with a high smoking point. The smoking point is a term used to describe the temperature at which oils start to burn or smoke. Use vegetable, avocado, grape seed, sunflower, canola, or peanut oil to prevent the flavour of your chicken from being ruined. These oils have a high smoking point and are perfect for frying at high temperatures.
- Use a candy thermometer when measuring the temperature of your oil. The oil should be heated to 350 ℉. This will make sure the chicken wings develop a crispy crust and prevent them from becoming greasy. In addition to this, Do not crowd your pan. Cook 5-6 wings in the pot at one time.
- Keep the chicken wings warm in a 250 ℉ oven until you are ready to serve. This helps the wings maintain their crispy texture.
How to Cook Classic Deep Fried Chicken Wings?
Crispy classic chicken wings are easy to make. Season the chicken wings with the seasoning blend and let it marinate for at least 1-3 hours. Let the chicken marinate overnight in the fridge so the flavours can develop. Toss the chicken in seasoned flour then deep fry the chicken in pot hot vegetable oil for about 8 minutes to get golden brown evenly cooked chicken wings. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and you are ready to serve.
How To Cook Sweet and Sour Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
These chicken wings are tossed with olive oil and seasonings. Then arranged on a cookie rack set on top of a rimmed sheet pan. These chicken wings are baked at 375 F for an hour until they develop a golden crispy colour.
How To Cook Homemade Barbecue Sauce
The baked chicken wings are tossed in a homemade sweet and sour sauce. You can toss the wings with your favourite store-bought barbecue sauce, but if you want to add even more flavour to these wings make the homemade barbecue sauce.
Sweet and sour barbeque sauce is easy to make. Ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, mustard powder, and dark sesame oil combine to make a delicious sticky sauce. This sauce can be used to brush grilled chicken drumsticks, over chuck brisket burger patties, or baby back ribs.
Lemon Pepper Smoked Chicken Wings
There is nothing wrong with baking or frying chicken wings, but if you are looking to try your hand at a new chicken wing recipe lemon pepper smoked chicken wings are the perfect way to expand your culinary talents.
Combine the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In a large bowl, drizzle the oil over the chicken wings and toss to coat. Add a generous amount of the seasoning and massage the chicken with the seasoning.
To smoke the chicken use pecan wood chips. Pecan wood chips have a milder flavour profile than other wood chips like hickory. Smoke the chicken wings in a charcoal or gas grill using indirect heat. Preheat the cooker to 225-250℉, add the chicken wings and after 2 1/2 hours, your lemon pepper smoked wings will be ready.
Classic Deep Fried Chicken Wings
Prep time:1 hour 10 minutes | Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes | Servings:6 | Calories: 446
- 2 lb. chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1-quart vegetable oil, for frying
- Rinse the chicken wings with cold water and pat them dry using paper towels then place the chicken wings in a large bowl.
- Whisk the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powders, cayenne powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Apply a liberal sprinkle of the seasoning blend to the chicken and toss the chicken so the seasoning is evenly distributed on the chicken wings. Let marinate for one hour in the refrigerator.
- Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator 30 minutes before frying to let it come to room temperature. In a shallow baking dish whisk the flour with 1 tablespoon teaspoon of the seasoning blend.
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat the vegetable oil to 350 F. Fry the chicken in batches of 5-6 pieces until the chicken turns a rich golden colour and the chicken is completely cooked. about 8 minutes.
- Drain on a cooling rack fitted into a rimmed baking sheet. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 446 kcal | Carbohydrates: 33.4g | Protein: 48.4g | Fat: 11.7g | Saturated Fat: 3.2g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 1295mg | Potassium: 448mg | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin D: 0mcg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 4mg
Sweet and Sour Oven Baked Chicken wings
Prep Time:12 minutes | Cook Time:1 hour | Total Time:1 hour 7 minutes | Servings:6 | Calories:462
- 2 pounds of chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
For the Sweet And Sour Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup,
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- Rinse the chicken wings with cold water and pat them dry using paper towels. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and toss to coat the chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk the smoked paprika, onion and garlic powders, salt, and black pepper. Apply a liberal amount of the seasoning mix to the chicken and let it marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Arrange the chicken on a cooling rack fitted inside of a rimmed baking pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake the chicken at 375 F for 1 hour until the skin is crispy and completely cooked.
- To make the barbecue sauce, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until they become translucent for about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the mustard ketchup, brown sugar apple cider vinegar, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and bring the sauce to a boil. Cook the sauce for 2 minutes and set aside. Remove sauce from the heat and let cool.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Place the chicken into a large bowl and spoon as much or as little of the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Toss the chicken wings to coat the chicken. Plate the chicken wings, serve and enjoy
Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.2g | Protein: 44.9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 906mg | Potassium: 489mg | Sugar: 11.8g | Vitamin D: 0mcg | Calcium: 489mg | Iron: 2mg
Smoked Lemon Pepper Chicken wings
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 2 hours | Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes | Servings:6 | Calories:398 kcal
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 pounds of chicken wings
- Wash the chicken with cold water and pat dry using paper towels.
- Whisk the lemon pepper, onion powder, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, and lemon zest together in a small bowl to form the seasoning blend.
- Place wings in a large bowl. Drizzle the chicken with canola oil and toss to coat the chicken. Add the seasoning mix and rub the seasoning into the chicken wings. Marinate the meat for 1 hour.
- Preheat the smoker or grill to 225-250 F. Place wings in a single layer over indirect heat. Add the pecan wood chips for the smoke to the coals.
- Smoke chicken wings for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. When fully cooked the chicken will have an internal temperature of 160.
- Place the chicken wings on the hot side of the grill or saute them in a little oil to get the crispy texture on the outside of the chicken.
- Remove from the grill or skillet and let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.8g | Protein: 44.7g | Fat: 21.1g | Saturated Fat: 3.9g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 894mg | Potassium: 451mg | Sugar: 1.8g | Vitamin D: 0mcg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3mg
Chicken wings are the perfect finger food for your next party. Try any one of these 3 variations and you will have delicious, crispy chicken wings.