Instead of searchig for the best fied chicken Langley, you can make your own righ at homeAir fryer chicken drumsticks are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Seasoned with a delicious combination of herbs and spices this chicken is bound to make you reach for more than one drumstick. This recipe doesn't need any hot oil and is cooked to perfection with the same signature taste of fried chicken in 20 minutes.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Ingredients
This crunchy delicious air fryer chicken is so easy to make. Buttermilk, a seasoning blend of herbs and spices, and a breading of flour and panko combine to form juicy mouthwatering chicken drumsticks.
The drumsticks are placed in a buttermilk bath. Buttermilk tenderizes the chicken and locks in moisture, unlike acids that can dry out the chicken while tenderizing it. If you do not have buttermilk mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup of milk, stir the mixture, and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. The acid will make the milk curdle slightly therefore creating buttermilk. Place the drumsticks into the buttermilk and let it soak.
Black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground oregano, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, and basil leaves come together to create a unique seasoning blend that gives the drumsticks excellent flavour.
Dredging The Chicken
The seasoning mix is used to season the coating for the chicken. Panko breadcrumbs are also added to the flour to create a crunchy texture. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge it in the flour mixture. Place the chicken back into the buttermilk and dredge it in flour. Place the chicken onto a parchment-lined sheet pan.
Air Frying The Chicken
Preheat the air fryer. When the air fryer is ready, spray the basket with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken legs to the air fryer and spray an even coating of olive oil spray over the chicken to help it crisp up and turn brown. Insert the basket into the air fryer and cook for about 20 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, flip the chicken and spray it with olive oil spray. When the internal temperature reaches 165-170℉ the chicken is cooked.
Crispy Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
This recipe can also be converted to make moist tender and crispy grilled chicken drumsticks. These drumsticks are grilled to crispy perfection over medium-high heat.
- Preheat the grill to 450 ℉ (medium-high heat). Pat the chicken drum sticks dry and remove any excess skin and lose bones or tissue.
- Using the seasoning blend from the air fryer chicken drumsticks generously coat both sides of the chicken with the seasoning (see seasoning blend recipe down below). Let the chicken marinate at room temperature until the grill heats up to medium-high.
- When the grill is ready place the chicken on the grill. Turn the chicken over every 5 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165-170℉.
- Depending on the size and thickness of the chicken will take about 30-35 minutes to cook. Rest the chicken for five minutes then serve with your favourite barbecue sauce.
Oven-Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Don't have an air fryer or a grill? No worries! This recipe can easily be baked in the oven and yield the same crispy results. This oven fried chicken is crispy and juicy even though it is not deep-fried in hot oil. The process for preparing the chicken is the same.
- Add buttermilk to a bowl or plastic bag. Add the chicken to the buttermilk and toss the chicken. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 ℉. Season the flour with seasoning blend and add panko bread crumbs to flour. Stir the dry mixture.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge in flour. Place the chicken back into the buttermilk then toss it in the flour.
- Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on a cookie sheet placed in a rimmed sheet pan. Spray the chicken with olive oil spray then bake for 12 minutes.
- At the half-way through mark flip the chicken and apply an even coating of olive oil spray. Place the chicken back into the oven until it reaches an internal temperature of 165-170 ℉, about 12 minutes. Let the baked drumsticks chicken rest for 5 minutes and serve it with your favourite sides.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Recipe
This simple air fryer chicken is crispy, tender, and delicious. The perfect combination of herbs and spices to provide yummy flavour in every bite.
Prep Time:30 minutes | Cook Time:20 minutes | Total Time:50 minutes | Servings:4 | Calories: 606 kcal
For the drumsticks
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 8 chicken legs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
For the seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground basil leaves
- Add the buttermilk to a large bowl. Add chicken legs to the buttermilk and massage the chicken in the buttermilk. Let the chicken soak in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes.
- Add all of the seasoning blend ingredients to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, panko, and 2 tablespoons of the seasoning blend to the dry ingredients. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and toss it in the seasoned flour.
- Place the chicken back into the buttermilk. Toss it to coat then dredge the chicken into the seasoned flour.
- Place the drumsticks on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Preheat the air fryer to 390 ℉.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Do not crowd the basket. Leave enough room for the air to circulate. Spray the chicken evenly with olive oil spray.
- Insert the basket into the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken and spray evenly with olive oil spray. Cook for 10 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 ℉.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 606kcal | Carbohydrates: 33.9g | Protein: 41.3g | Fat: 34.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.8g | Cholesterol: 4 mg | Sodium: 782 mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 2.9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin D: 0mcg | Calcium: 152 mg | Iron: 3mg
Whether you decide to make grilled drumsticks, baked chicken drumsticks, or crispy air fryer chicken drumsticks you will yield a crispy, flavourful and tender chicken drumstick. Congratulations you know know how to make the best fried chiken Langley