Who doesn't love shrimp scampi? Whether you a looking for an appetizer, light lunch, or dinner with your favorite kind of pasta, Spicy Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi is your best option! Even if you lead a low-carb lifestyle, you can swap the pasta out for zucchini noodles or steamed cauliflower! One way or another, in a matter of minutes, you will have a delicious meal better than any scampi you will ever eat in a restaurant!
Tips For Making Shrimp Scampi
- Gather your mise en place. It is extremely easy to overcook shrimp, and this recipe is no different. This recipe literally comes together in minutes, making it extremely important that you not only prep your ingredients but have them as close to your cooking space as possible. You do not want to be digging in your fridge looking for a bottle of wine while your shrimp is cooking on the stove. This is a guaranteed way to get overcooked rubbery, tough shrimp.
- Cook your shrimp in a mixture of butter and olive oil. This combo prevents the butter from burning since butter contains milk solids that increase its burning point. Nevertheless, you can still use all butter. The butter will start to brown while the shrimp are cooking, but it will also give your scampi an extra pop of flavour.
- Use prawns for this shrimp recipe! Prawns are succulent, delicious, juicy, and ideal for shrimp scampi! Furthermore, if you can obtain wild shrimp, use those. They have superior flavour and colour in addition to being better for you than farm-raised seafood.
- This recipe works well with salmon too! Browse our meat shop North Vancouver and find the best seafood Vancouver has to offer!
- Use premium white wine. Sav Blanc, Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio all pair well with this recipe!
Can You Make Shrimp Scampi Without Wine
Of course, you can! Wine can be eliminated from this recipe or replaced with chicken stock or fish stock. However, if you want maximum flavour, opt for chicken broth! Only use fish broth if it is homemade!
The Best Spicy Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi
This garlic butter shrimp scampi recipe is super quick and easy! With a garlic buttery scampi sauce made with a splash of white wine & lemon juice, this scrumptious meal will be on your table in under 10 minutes!
Prep time: 5 minutes| Cook: 5 minutes| Total: 10 minutes| Servings: 4| Calories: 255kcals
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. white prawns, peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- Drizzle the olive oil into a skillet, then add 2 tablespoons of butter and heat over a medium-low flame. Add garlic, cayenne, and red pepper flakes saute for 1 minute until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the shrimp, season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes just until they start to turn pink, then flip the shrimp over and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on one side.
- Add the wine or chicken broth wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the wine reduces by half and the shrimp are completely cooked. Do not overcook the shrimp!
- Add the unused butter, lemon juice, and parsley. Remove the scampi from the heat immediately.
- Serve the shrimp scampi on a bed of rice, pasta or with a side garlic bread or steamed cauliflower, broccoli, or zoodles.
- Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 255kcals| Carbohydrates: 2.7g |Protein: 16.4g | Fat: 18.8g| Saturated Fat: 8.4g| Cholesterol: 31mg| Sodium: 669g| Potassium: 81mg| Sugar: 0.4g| Vitamin D: 8mcg| Calcium: 21mg| Iron: 1mg
Whether you are looking for new shrimp recipes or searching for a quick light dinner, this meal will fulfill all of your dinner dreams. Cooked in just 10 minutes, this meal is guaranteed to receive a round of applause.